Linderhof Castle was built in the Ammerberge foothills between 1870 and 1879. It is recognized as the only castle that Louis II completed and lived in, and it surpasses even his other palaces in its splendid grounds and architectural finesse. The castle’s charm lies in part in its 50 hectares of artistically landscaped gardens. Their focal point is a gilded fountain that shoots 30 meters into the air. The park’s most significant sights also include the “Koenigshaeuschen“ (King’s Little House), the old “Koenigslinde” royal linden tree with a stance on which the king occasionally enjoyed his breakfast, the Moorish kiosk with its peacock throne, the Moroccan house, and the artificial grotto with its “open sesame” boulder.